Pieces of Play Friday: Something I have learned from Play

After a full year of carrying the word PLAY with me, so I could learn how to play, I failed. The nature of play is such that most things I have learned i.e. reading, science, maths, movement, emotional intelligence has been, at some point, through play. Not only is play often the lesson, bu it's also often the practice. The thing is, learning to play again is really hard when you become an adult and let go of playful things and take responsibility for your life. I can't ever remember not having a serious side of my nature and it has grown over the years. 

One thing thing I have learnt is that in some settings I am more playful than others. Somethings also act as a trigger that takes me to a happy place. So as I go through life unlearning the seriousness of it, and trying to reaquaint myself with play I will keep myself sourounded by things that take me off into a playful space. Some of those things are..

Pink and Rainbows and Glitter: My wardrobe is almost entirely black for practical reasons. It's low maintenance, and it makes me feel like me. Comfortable and confident but rainbows and pick jump out to me and I love it. The girls have asked me to wear something pretty when we go on an adventure. So I'm learning to listen to that more. 

Music and Dancing: This one is so easy. My mood can change instantly. Note to self: PLAY more music.

Travel and Adventures: Once you are in the car, on that plane, or aboard the boat, there is nothing else you can do about work or housework. A game we played in my maternity leave year was to find a different playground we had never been to before and explore it. Now the play is bigger, from parks to playgroups, to indoor playcentres, to arcades, to festivals, to holidays but often it's the little things like a silly song, some pretend play, or eating dinner outside pretending we are in a restaurant is enough to light up the girls faces. 

Reading books to the girls: When the girls were babies, no matter how fuzzy my brain way, and how hard I found it to be in the moment and play when I openned a book. Some magic would happen. There was something about books, the language, the rhythm, the sounds, the characters. A few favourite books would take me to a place where I had a different energy and could become a different person for a minute. 

Art and Museums and Galleries: this will forever be my happy place. Looking at street art and being in art galleries. I choose which art to immerse myself in of course but again it fills me with some kind of playful energy. 

Sounds: the girls laughter and bouncing basketballs. 

Rest: In the last few months I have realised that if I don't rest, I can't play. Play is harder, but not impossible, when I am exhausted. So learning to play is also about learning to rest. Kindness to oneself and taking the pressure off being the perfect playful parent is also important because stress inhibits play. 









Comments

Popular Posts