December 2: 28/11/2020 Murri Christmas a new tradition

Yaama (Hello in Kamilaroi / Gamilaraay our language and our bloodline). I’m writing from Quandamooka country also known as Wynnam, or Wynnum. We think we may have started something. A new tradition. We had been planning a catch-up with some of the Murri’s from a past work life and it just happened to collide with Christmas. In our Aboriginal Community, particularly amongst us Murris (the word we use to refer to Aboriginal people from the Northern Territory and Queensland), instead of saying Merry Christmas, we say Murri Christmas. It’s something that likely started with our Murri Country Radio Station based in Brisbane and has become a ‘thing’ over many years. What might also become a ‘thing’ is a gathering of some of us Murris at this time each year. It just us, and Karla Hume, Michelle Greener, and Sharon and it was awesome to catch-up. Everyone was dressed in something festive and brought their festive cheer. Covid has changed so much this year, and one of the things we have missed out on was an event called the Meeanjin (Brisbane River area) Markets. In the last few years Murri Claus (aka our Aboriginal Santa) has come to the markets to share song and story.  I was still able to attend the markets virtually, but no Murri Claus. This Christmas Yearning Circle was a wonderful and accidental way to make sure we still celebrated our culture and traditions of the season. Here are some of the things I want to remember…

-          I want to remember how Michelle and Sharon brought toys for the girls, just as they started to get bored and look for something entertaining. So generous. So in tune with kids.

-          I want to remember how we laugh. It’s a very hearty laugh and has a feeling of inside knowledge, like being in a special group of people, who can read each other, and understand without spoken words because of our shared experiences.

-          I want to remember how good it weas to spend a moment reflecting and debriefing from the year. It has been a big year with the tragedy that lead to the giant global energy of the Black Lives Matter Movement. There are personal stories that we shared of our challenging moments letting go of people, particularly on social media, but some family, and finding others who are allies and on a journey with us. Feelings of surprise, support, and wonderful solidarity.

-          I want to remember how young at heart these beautiful women are, and how this is tempered by wisdom through experience. I want to remember how much I still have to learn.

-          I want to remember how we play. Our beautiful people are playful. It is in our DNA. It’s helps us work through the hard moments, and it’s how we survive. We shared the latest music, movies, fun stuff, and we danced ‘till we were tired. Play is hard for me but I think I just need more practice.

-          I want to remember that Kaiya and Kirra said out loud that we are all Aboriginal around this table. I’m grateful that my girls grow up with a sense of identity and belonging to the beautiful community we create.  

-          I want to remember that we resolved to do it again next year.

-          I want to remember how I am thankful to Karla, Sharon, Michelle, Kaiya and Kirra, the sharing of time, love, play, and sisterhood. I am thankful for them filling my home with laughter (and politics).

-          P.S. Thanks Sharon from bringing us Salty Plums and Happy Plums from Darwin form your trip. So many memories.

Murri Christmas everyone from the Abbott-Jards!







Comments

Popular Posts